Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New TopRC T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New TopRC T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 03:08 AM
fred685
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the T-28 and was hoping this model would have gotten the strut length right. To me the airplane looks funny sitting on those stilts. If you look at pictures of the full scale T-28, none of them sit that high off the ground. Maybe they do this for prop clearance? Who knows, but the new Legend Hobby model also has this problem. I'm also concerned with the retract system. I had the Top Model Cougar and the factory retracts were the absolute junk. If I got 4 flights without having to replace parts I felt lucky. I would be more interested in this airplane if I could buy it without retracts.
The following users liked this post:
marksp (03-03-2024)
Old 09-29-2023, 04:31 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fred685
I'm a big fan of the T-28 and was hoping this model would have gotten the strut length right. To me the airplane looks funny sitting on those stilts. If you look at pictures of the full scale T-28, none of them sit that high off the ground.
The struts are the correct length for the unloaded position.
Trojan struts have a fairly long travel on the oleos and compress a long way when loaded with the aircraft on the ground.
See the attached pics of the same aircraft just after take off and sitting on the ground, take particular note of the angles of the scissor links on the legs.

On the model the legs need to be their full unloaded length to retract into the wheel wells.
The problem is that on this model and on the Legend Hobby one, the legs don’t compress under the weight of the model thus leaving the “up on stilts” look. I had to laugh at your terminology to describe how it looks because that is exactly what I have been calling it.🤣

I am not sure how just yet, but I will be addressing this on my Trojan as the “on stilts” look is just wrong!

Fun Fact: That is me in the back seat for both these pics.😎😎😎
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 312.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	2273466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mbro Warbirds 003.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2273467  
Old 09-29-2023, 05:01 AM
fred685
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct about the unloaded length. Although when it's on the ground the struts should be compressed. Maybe a softer spring is needed.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:17 AM
pancake321

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fred685
I'm a big fan of the T-28 and was hoping this model would have gotten the strut length right. To me the airplane looks funny sitting on those stilts. If you look at pictures of the full scale T-28, none of them sit that high off the ground. Maybe they do this for prop clearance? Who knows, but the new Legend Hobby model also has this problem. I'm also concerned with the retract system. I had the Top Model Cougar and the factory retracts were the absolute junk. If I got 4 flights without having to replace parts I felt lucky. I would be more interested in this airplane if I could buy it without retracts.
yea i've heard nothing but horror stories about the top rc retracts. on my fw-190 i went with sierra. hopefully they will make a set for the t-28.

i talked to someone who saw the prototype fly at an event in early august and he said it took multiple cycles to get the gear to come up all together after it took off.

if i'm not mistaken this is possibly the only top rc plane that you have to buy it with their retracts.
marksp (03-03-2024)
Old 09-30-2023, 05:47 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

pancake321;

You are mistaken, when I bought my TopRC P-47 you had to buy their retracts at the time.
marksp (03-03-2024)
Old 09-30-2023, 11:05 AM
pancake321

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
pancake321;

You are mistaken, when I bought my TopRC P-47 you had to buy their retracts at the time.
oh ok thanks. guess no one was buying their crappy retracts if they didn't make them haha
marksp (03-03-2024)
Old 10-01-2023, 02:44 PM
planenutzz

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLTMAN
The struts are the correct length for the unloaded position.
Trojan struts have a fairly long travel on the oleos and compress a long way when loaded with the aircraft on the ground.
See the attached pics of the same aircraft just after take off and sitting on the ground, take particular note of the angles of the scissor links on the legs.

On the model the legs need to be their full unloaded length to retract into the wheel wells.
The problem is that on this model and on the Legend Hobby one, the legs don’t compress under the weight of the model thus leaving the “up on stilts” look. I had to laugh at your terminology to describe how it looks because that is exactly what I have been calling it.🤣

I am not sure how just yet, but I will be addressing this on my Trojan as the “on stilts” look is just wrong!

Fun Fact: That is me in the back seat for both these pics.😎😎😎
Correcting the scissor link being flat against the oleo will the challenge, as they are currently the oleo will not compress upon landing bumps as a result. We shall see.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:10 PM
pancake321

gator rc has the manual on their website.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
planenutzz

I have read through the so called manual, in one word, pitiful. Incomplete. Probably the worst manual I have ever seen.
Those of you getting your T-28 from Gator Rc you may wish to encourage them to have a word with manufacturer and get an updated edition out ASAP.

Of note is that the firewall has been moved back from cowl lip to engine mount face by about 72mm obviously to accommodate radials.
What this leaves is a substantially weakened from nose attachment point.
I confirmed mine has this modification done. First batch had the engine mount as shown in earlier posts up the page.

As I will be fitting a DLE-111 I'll add some gussets to that area.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:27 PM
pancake321

Originally Posted by planenutzz
I have read through the so called manual, in one word, pitiful. Incomplete. Probably the worst manual I have ever seen.
Those of you getting your T-28 from Gator Rc you may wish to encourage them to have a word with manufacturer and get an updated edition out ASAP.

Of note is that the firewall has been moved back from cowl lip to engine mount face by about 72mm obviously to accommodate radials.
What this leaves is a substantially weakened from nose attachment point.
I confirmed mine has this modification done. First batch had the engine mount as shown in earlier posts up the page.

As I will be fitting a DLE-111 I'll add some gussets to that area.
i'm not shocked at the manual considering what i've seen from their other planes lol.

when you say a weakened nose attachment point are you talking about the nose gear mount or the engine box itself? hoping not to have to do lots of structural mods like i did to their fw-190!
Old 10-04-2023, 01:38 PM
planenutzz

nose gear mount area extends forward of firewall now and is essentially unsupported. Easy fix in my case but for those fitting a radial good luck and god bless.
You will also have issues fitting collector ring but that is not my problem as I have opted for reliable and simple.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:03 PM
pancake321

nose gear mount area extends forward of firewall now and is essentially unsupported. Easy fix in my case but for those fitting a radial good luck and god bless.
You will also have issues fitting collector ring but that is not my problem as I have opted for reliable and simple.
no radial for me at this time but was thinking i wouldn't have to mess with standoffs for dle-130 but that doesn't seem the case now.

what do you have in mind for nose gear mount? i basically copied all of your structural fixes for the fw-190 lol i may do the same with the t-28.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:57 PM
planenutzz

not sure as I have yet to started it. Some sort of gusset each side, simple enough to do
Old 10-08-2023, 03:32 AM
pancake321

not sure as I have yet to started it. Some sort of gusset each side, simple enough to do
gotcha. i'm thinking of something similar. i may use carbon fiber cloth.
Old 10-08-2023, 01:08 PM
planenutzz

and glue to CF to what? Open air?
Old 10-09-2023, 03:43 AM
pancake321

and glue to CF to what? Open air?
i was thinking cf cloth wrap epoxied around the motor box and onto the firewall but not sure yet bc i haven't seen it. maybe do something else.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:37 PM
planenutzz

that is not where the issue is. I suggest you re-read posts.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:47 PM
pancake321

that is not where the issue is. I suggest you re-read posts.
will do. hard to visualize without seeing the airplane.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:00 PM
planenutzz

photos are in the thread
Old 10-12-2023, 10:43 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pancake321
yea i've heard nothing but horror stories about the top rc retracts. on my fw-190 i went with sierra. hopefully they will make a set for the t-28.

i talked to someone who saw the prototype fly at an event in early august and he said it took multiple cycles to get the gear to come up all together after it took off.

if i'm not mistaken this is possibly the only top rc plane that you have to buy it with their retracts.
Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
pancake321;

oh ok thanks. guess no one was buying their crappy retracts if they didn't make them haha
Yep...I was one of the impatient fools who bought TopRC Model P-47 with mandatory bundled retracts. Early adopters had to take the "detracts"; against better judgement. As expected, detracts are junk - look decent, but junk nevertheless.

If the TopRC Model T-28 was offered without retracts and if the Electrons designed for the Tomahawk Aviation T-28 fit the TopRC Model I would've been first in line for the kit.

Hard to find happy long term TopRC Model retract fans, conversely, Electron & Sierra have many happy repeat customers!

Electron T-28 2.75m

Last edited by marksp; 10-12-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:18 AM
planenutzz

time will tell. Here we had the choice of the kit with or without the retracts. Only thing I can complain about so far is that the scissor links are flat against the oleo leg.

Last edited by planenutzz; 10-13-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:13 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here we had the choice of the kit with our without the retracts.
Right on!

In U.S., this is the single biggest factor limiting demand.

Cheers
Old 10-13-2023, 09:08 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Received shipping notice today. Looking forward to the assembly process.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:59 AM
pancake321

Originally Posted by David Jackson
Received shipping notice today. Looking forward to the assembly process.
i did as well. what engine are you planning? i'm putting a dle-130.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:54 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did as well. what engine are you planning? i'm putting a dle-130.
Got a UMS 260 that was purchased for 1/3 scale Stearman which will not be completed before the end of next year. Also have DA 150 needing home. So will try to use what I have available.
​​​​​
​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.